The Maldives is the place to go if you’re looking for a getaway out of this world. The archipelago nation is made up of more than 1,200 tropical islands in the Indian Ocean, and all of them are surrounded by crystal clear waters and amazing coral reefs.
We’ve got you covered! With so much to do at each resort, it can take time to figure out where to start. Here’s everything you need to know about planning your first trip (or tenth) to this incredible destination:
There are a few things to consider when choosing a resort in the Maldives.
- Do you want an overwater bungalow? Overwater bungalows are some of the most luxurious accommodation options but also come at a high price.
- What kind of amenities do you want? There are resorts with spas, gyms, and even kids’ clubs. Look no further if you’re traveling with young children or want to unwind after long days exploring this beautiful country! If you’re on a budget or looking for family-friendly resorts, book one early so you can take advantage of your dream vacation spot!
How to get a great deal on an overwater bungalow at a Maldives resort
Are you looking for a great deal on an overwater bungalow at a Maldives resort? Whether you’re looking to book last minute or plan, there are plenty of opportunities to get the most bang for your buck.
- Search online. When searching online, look for special offers and package deals from resorts in the Maldives, including flights, transfers, and excursions. You can also find last-minute hotel deals or packages if you stay for less than three nights.
- Look for last-minute deals on flights, transfers, and excursions (if applicable). This will help reduce major expenses when visiting this exotic destination! Some airlines offer discounted fares during off-peak periods such as weekdays or low season (June through September), so keep an eye out if you’re planning but still need to set travel dates.
- Book directly with the hotel rather than through a third-party booking platform like Expedia/Booking, which will charge more commission fees because they need to make money somehow! Make sure this doesn’t affect what type of room category (standard vs. superior, etc.) before booking since we found prices varied by type depending on whether we booked directly with the hotel vs. using third-party sites like those mentioned above.”
Best time to visit the Maldives
The Maldives is a popular destination, so finding cheap flights to the islands can take time and effort. However, there’s an advantage to this: being an international destination always means something is going on in the Maldives.
The best time to visit the Maldives is between November and April, the dry season when temperatures are warm without being uncomfortably hot, and humidity ranges from low to medium.
Why you can’t just show up and go out shopping in the Maldives
The Maldives is a small Indian Ocean country with only about 400 inhabited islands. It’s a very popular destination for tourists and honeymooners alike. However, it’s not easy to show up and enjoy your vacation in this paradise of blue waters and white sand beaches: you need to plan well in advance!
If you want to get out of your resort and explore some of these beautiful islands on your own (or even do some shopping), then you have two options: fly from one island to another by seaplane or take an organized tour. Both will require you to book a hotel for at least one night on an island with airport/airports nearby. If neither of these options sounds appealing, stay within the confines of your resort for as long as possible!
The same goes for diving tours. You can only go on them if offered directly from your resort (and not through another company).
What do in the Maldives?
The Maldives is an ideal destination if you’re looking for a relaxing vacation. There are dozens of resorts offering everything from day trips to snorkeling and scuba diving to whale-watching excursions. If you want to get away from it all, there are plenty of remote islands where you can relax on the beach or explore with your boat.
The Maldives is also one of the best places in South Asia to see marine life: turtles come ashore here during mating season (December through March), while dolphins often swim alongside dive boats.
Best things to do in the Maldives!
If you’re looking for a vacation that’s a bit more active than lounging around on the beach, we’ve got some recommendations for you!
- Diving and snorkeling are two of the most popular activities in the Maldives. The water is so clear and shallow around many islands that it’s easy to see colorful fish, coral reefs, and other sea creatures without getting wet. There are also dozens of wrecks from sunken ships to explore by diving too! For something less adventurous but still exciting, try renting speedboats or jet skis from local rental companies like Aqua Tours Maldives or Sea Sports (these companies operate at all major resorts).
- Another fun activity is taking boat rides around any one of these beautiful islands! Many resorts offer day trips out on catamarans or speedboats where they take guests snorkeling at nearby locations like Thilafushi Island (which used to be an island where tons of trash were dumped) or visit uninhabited islands just offshore with nothing but sand between them and open water! You’ll feel like Robinson Crusoe when surrounded by nothing but nature and maybe even spot some dolphins who live offshore too!
Snorkeling in the Maldives
Snorkeling in the Maldives is one of the best experiences you can have on your trip. The Maldives contains some of the most beautiful coral reefs so snorkeling will be an unforgettable experience.
To ensure you get to see as much as possible while snorkeling, we recommend hiring a guide who knows all about these sites and can point out interesting species or other cool things to look at while underwater.
Cheapest times to visit the Maldives
The Maldives is a very expensive place to visit. No low-cost airlines are flying there; the only way to get around is by boat or seaplane.
The cheapest time to visit the Maldives is in the shoulder season (April-May and August-September). Rooms can be as cheap as US$100 per night during this period, but you will still need to purchase flights from India or Sri Lanka.
This is just the tip of the iceberg regarding what there is to see and do in the Maldives. This travel guide has given you some new ideas on what to do when traveling there.